What Will Human Resources Really Handle within Your Company?
Most people understand that Human Resources work with employees. HR will handle issues relating to employee behavior, onboarding, and other employee issues. However, what does HR really do? What makes them so invaluable to even the smallest companies? Read on to learn more about HR and its role in your small business.
What Tasks Does Human Resource Personnel Manage?
Human Resource Personnel handle anything relating to employee management. Their specialized training help allows them to manage employees while staying compliant with federal and state laws. Furthermore, they help institute change in human resource management when compliance laws change.
Some of the many tasks HR handles include the following:
- Ensuring employees complete all necessary forms, such as W-4s, I-9s, Background check permission forms, etc.
- Handle all compliance issues relating to labor laws, such as the Family and Medical Leave Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, Fair Labor Standard Act, and more
- Deal with all employee complaints, such as sexual harassment, discrimination, wage discrepancies, hostile work environment, etc.
- Properly maintain all employee files by ensuring all documents are correct and easily accessible as needed. Documents include resumes, applications, background check results, tax documents, medical records, medical reviews, and other necessary documents.
- Filling new employment positions, including creating and managing employment ads, writing job descriptions, reviewing resumes, interviewing, creating job offers, and more.
- Employee training
- Managing employee benefits and payroll
Why Would Your Company Benefit from Working with an HR Professional Instead of Managing HR Tasks on Your Own?
As seen above, HR handles many issues relating to employees within the workplace. The list above only scratches the surface of the many issues HR handles. If employers attempt to take on these tasks on their own, they may miss important compliance issues and deadlines. They may even find that attempting to manage these issues take up so much time, that they do not have the opportunity to manage their business and its operations.
Working with an HR professional will fix both of these concerns. HR can ensure employers do not miss deadlines and remain compliant with all federal and state laws. Furthermore, an HR professional can take over employee management tasks to leave employers to manage their company and its operations. As a result, employers can ensure employees are more productive and meet deadlines as needed.
Do Companies Have to Hire an HR Manager and Human Resources Team?
Employers may worry about the overhead costs of adding a human resources department to their payroll. Small businesses may find their budget can not afford another full-time salary and benefits.
There is help. Companies do not need to hire an HR manager or Human Resources team. Instead, they can contract with a company that manages their employees. As a result, the company pays a relatively small monthly fee (as opposed to a salary and benefits). However, they receive the HR help they need to maintain their employees within the workplace.
Workplace HCM can help employers with their expert HR professionals. Contact us today at (856) 334-9711 to learn more.